Henry Arrot built our Dutch Colonial Mansion in 1925. Arrot was a Pittsburgh industrialist who invented the process wherein ceramic tile is colored. Throughout the bathrooms of the main house examples of his work can still be found. Katankwat, as our home was once called was Mr. Arrot’s dream home. Many of the original stone works, walls, sluices, and porches still adorn the property. The Jamestown-Westfield Trolley provided local rail service transportation for the area. The old trolley cars passed directly in front of the house on what is now Chautauqua Avenue. Sadly, Katankwat was lost to foreclosure during the Great Depression.
After being purchased from the bank in the mid 1930’s by two brothers, the house was turned into a duplex. The two brothers were the owners of the local Woorsted Mill. Later the house was sold to the President of the local college who only kept the house until he moved out of the area in 1956. At this point the Episcopalian church acquired the property. Along with the Methodist church, the Episcopalian church used the house for a retreat center for over 30 years.
Paul and Rosemary Stage purchased the house in 1988 for use as their private home and the Bed & Breakfast. The Bed & Breakfast is operated by Rosemary Stage to accommodate visitors coming to the Chautauqua area year around.